Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ecstasy

I don't often think of Zoomer as an old dog, but he is. He will be 10 years old on January 18, 2010, and the average life expectancy of a greyhound is 9-14 years. He still seems like my baby though, and in many ways he is. But the two or three years have snuck up on us both rather quickly. And as I fell into my 50s, Zoomer slipped into old age. And now, with his body dealing with the added stress that the amputation and the consequences it brings, it's clear that he is slowing down.

Just a little over a year ago, Zoomer could run after crazed squirrels with wild-eyed abandon. He still wants to, but now it is my job to keep him safe, and not to let himself go too far in his excitement. His stamina has been shortened to not much more than a walk around the yard. But their is no question, he still loves life and the simple pleasures of being a dog. Pleasures like chewing on a favorite stick. Pure canine ecstasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment